I get this question asked a lot “why don’t you take your meds?” they ask if there is medication for your diagnosis why aren’t you utilizing it? Honestly, I’ve always been someone to take up on a challenge, but this is not the reason I quit taking my meds. Some days my meds helped me and some days it caused me to feel much worse than I already was. I just got tired of taking so many meds a day and being so isolated life just felt numb to me and no reason to live in it. So I got the courage 4 years ago to grab all my meds and toss them for good! Here are 5 reasons why;
- Steroids- I started taking prednisone at 14 and even though it made me feel better it was still covering up the root cause. It caused me to gain so much weight, I hated it. It was a temporary fix, I was tired of the temporary.
- Consistency- I was prescribed a lot of meds that were both for cancer and autoimmune diseases so my hair will grow to fall out. If I caught a cold or the flu I would have to stop the meds until it passed. For some reason all the side effects of the meds that only show in a few people, I was always that few! So doctors’ were always switching my meds trying new things.
- Sleepiness- It’s already tough being a mother, it’s so much harder when you can’t even stay awake. I would be so out of it and by the time I would wake up the sun was down and the day escaped me. So, how did I keep a job? Caffeine! it was my BFF I drunk about 10 cups a day just to get me by, but I would only end up sicker than I was because caffeine is a big trigger when I’m having a flare-up. There was nothing I could do because my body became so immune to the meds so quickly they would have to bump it up to a higher dosage.
- Addiction- I became addicted to Xanax, I found myself popping pills when I wasn’t even having anxiety just because they made me feel a little alive. I could smile on days I really didn’t have it in me. I drank a lot because it made me numb and in that moment took me away from that person I hated most (Sick Shawna).
- Family- I was missing out on family, I avoided family gatherings because I would be so nervous of questions (Wow, Shawna you gained weight or Wow, you have gotten so skinny) yea…yea.. if only you knew my struggles. I couldn’t stand loud noises and I didn’t want them to see me have an anxiety attack because I was afraid to be around a big crowd. I just go tired of explaining myself.
I got tired of living this way, and I couldn’t stand another day of it. So I prayed to God…well more liked screamed, hollered and sobbed. I said enough is enough, I won’t continue to live my life this way and gave myself away to God so he could use me. That’s when I tried my first Daniel fast, started detoxing and doing so much research. God started to overflow my mind with things that needed to be done and they work for me. Some days get tough but I press on because God is greater than my illness. See my illness had me bound on the verge to committing suicide and ending it all but God said otherwise. I feel so free and full of life, this is my why. I have now found my purpose in life. I wasn’t created to be sick my whole life, but to find God and fulfill the purpose he created me for. I was just a person that the medication didn’t work out for. I’m just glad to be medication free and living life with a purpose.
I grew up in a small town and around us surrounded fields, those fields were always being sprayed. I never knew they could be so harmful, I just figured they wouldn’t be spraying chemicals in an environment where people lived that could harm them..right?? Well was I wrong! If they were spraying to keep bugs away, then what was it really doing to my insides if I was breathing it in.
So, if the body is already fighting against itself how much harder is it fighting to get rid of the other bad toxins entering the body. Bad toxins don’t just enter in from breathing it in, but also the foods we eat, the things we put on our skin and the chemicals we clean with daily. While you were cleaning have noticed you became light-headed, those are the harmful toxins that already entered into your body. These harmful toxins could be making you sicker than you already are.
Back in 2011, I was introduced to the Daniel Fast during these 21 days I allowed my body to get rid of unwanted toxins and feed it the food my body has been searching for. I noticed such a big change in energy, clarity, and weight. I was sold and shocked that it changed so much of me in 21 days. Once I started to put harmful things back into my body I noticed the sluggish feeling and my overall well-being changed. Wow! I was amazed how just some adjusts in my eating habits could make a big impact.
So I began to overthink like I always do and it came to me in order to stay on the right track I must continuously get rid of harmful toxins by living on a lifelong detoxification system. I already have an autoimmune disease and I’m making it worse by not getting rid of the extra toxins my body is trying to adjust too. So if you have a Chronic Illness like me why should you detox? Here are 5 reasons below :
- Environmental Chemicals- You are already experiencing so my symptoms with the chronic illness you have, but when environmental toxins get in they came make you feel horrible and cause a full blown flare-up.
- Food- Many foods we eat have toxins, fast foods are not the only foods that can harm us, some are sitting in your pantry right now.
- Body Products- Yes, even the products we put on our skin carry toxins and we are using these things every day! Makeup, perfumes, lotions, even our deodorant…I know crazy right?
- Electronics and Cellphones- There are so many things we use every day with radiofrequency, but it’s linked to many diseases.
- Cleaning Products- Many products we clean with have harmful toxins, it’s very important to always read labels.
So many things are harmful to us, so being able to rid those toxins are key. What are some things you can do?
- Drink Detoxifying Teas/Water- There are so many tea companies these days that provide you with a way to detox your body. I usually buy a detox tea and drink at least one a day just to feel a little better.
- Fruits & Veggies- 21-day detox that focuses on feeding your body what it needs and slowly work on changing your diet. ( if you are spiritual like me you can do the Daniel Fast he fasted for 10 days and 21 days)
- Body Scrubs- Scrubbing away harmful toxins, you can either buy from a store or create your own.
The detox world is really growing and it provides you with many ways to detoxify your body. Can you imagine how many toxins we carry around a day? Detoxing will allow you to feel so much better, and get rid of toxins as they come in. Chronic Illness already brings enough trouble we don’t need other things making us feel worse.